What you need to know about crossovers

16 April 2019

Whilst many people probably aren’t sure what a crossover is, everyone has one on their property. A crossover is the part of your driveway that crosses from your property boundary to a council or State controlled road.

If you want to construct or alter a driveway crossover you may be required to notify or apply to the local council for permission. If your property is accessed via a State Government controlled road you will need permission from the Department of Transport and Main Roads (DTMR) instead of the local council.

Owners are responsible for constructing, maintaining, altering, and repairing driveway crossovers. This responsibility encompasses not only where the driveway crosses the kerb, but any footpaths, water courses, drains or easements as well.

Usually driveways are accepted or permissible development and in this instance council relies on you to determine your driveway is going to meet their requirements.

If your driveway won’t meet their requirements, you must submit an application to the council to review your proposed driveway. A fee will apply for them to assess your application and you can’t start construction until you have their approval.

If there are trees, infrastructure or services near the place you want to build a driveway, then council may reject your proposed location. If they do allow your driveway to go ahead, and it has an impact that requires remedial works, you will be expected to pay the costs.

You are allowed to build your own driveway or employ a licensed contractor to complete the work. The driveway must be a non-slip surface and be able to take the load of vehicles. Acceptable materials include bitumen, asphalt or concrete.

Logan City Council has produced a video that helps explain their requirements, which are similar to those of other councils, you can view it here.  Brisbane City Council has also produced an information booklet on their requirements.

Each Council has its own specific requirements for driveways, which can be controlled by their Planning Scheme (i.e. City Plan) or a Local Law, or both. For this reason it is important to be sure you know what the requirements are and comply with those or seek approval where required.

If your driveway is not self-assessable or accepted development, a town planner can help review the specifics of your situation and provide advice. Contact Consult Planning for an obligation free quote via office@consultplanning.com.au

Disclaimer: While every effort has been made to provide accurate information, Consult Planning does not guarantee that this blog article is free from errors or omissions or is suitable for your intended use. Requirements and standards frequently change so every individual proposal should be thoroughly investigated.

Web (3).jpg